Sunday, December 27, 2009

Vintage Quilt, Santa Claus, and a Snowman

While we are all looking forward to the new year 2010, I like to consider the beauty that has been handed down to me. My Great-Aunt Ethel, my mother's aunt, was a quilter. She, however, was not a quilter of today, with everything planned out and perfect. She used fabric that she had left over from other projects, and she made needed and useful quilts for warmth. She always said that it was necessary to have a project to do. It made you want to get up and get started on it. It gave a purpose to your day. Several years ago, my dear mother gave me a quilt that Aunt Ethel had made in the early part of the twentieth century. I display this treasured quilt at Christmas and throughout the winter. It is pieced together in Christmas colors of red and green, but the blocks are composed of fabric that Aunt Ethel had left over from other sewing projects. I treasure this quilt. My Santa Claus, from the late 1950s, was one of two given to my parents when they opened bank accounts in a town they had just moved to. Santa is actually a bank and was given to new customers to encourage children to save money. I have one and my sister has one. I just love this Santa bank. My wooden snowman was painted by my mother about ten years ago. I love to look at his jolly and friendly face. These are the treasures that remind me of the beauty of this world and make this season so beautiful to me.



My Great-Aunt Ethel's quilt, which she made in the early part of the twentieth century.



This is a close-up of one of the blocks.



This is a close-up of another block.



This is the back of the quilt.



This is my 1950s Santa Claus bank. I keep it in my corner china cabinet that belonged to my Mother and Father.



This is my jolly, friendly snowman that my mother painted.

"These are a few of my favorite things."

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt! That's quite a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What treasures you have! I love things like that with a history behind it! Thanks for sharing your special things with us!!!

    ReplyDelete